A presidential ethics panel has opened the door to testing an anthrax vaccine on children as young as infants, bringing an angry response from critics who say the children would be guinea pigs in a study that would never help them and might harm them.
The report, however, released on Tuesday by the Presidential Commission for the Study of Bioethical Issues, said researchers would have to overcome numerous hurdles before launching an anthrax-vaccine trial in children. It now goes to Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius, who will decide whether to take the steps the commission recommended.
The one anthrax vaccine approved in the United States, called BioThrax, is made by Emergent BioSolutions Inc of Rockville, Maryland. The company reported $215.9 million in sales of BioThrax, its only licensed product, in 2012.
The ethics commission took up the issue after a biodefense panel recommended in 2011 that the anthrax vaccine be tested in children. That endorsement, by the National Biodefense Science Board, came with the caveat that such a study also get the go-ahead from a bioethics panel.
It did, albeit conditionally.
- Bioethics Panel Warns Against Anthrax Vaccine Testing On Kids (wnyc.org)
- Test of anthrax vaccine in children gets tentative OK (news.terra.com)
- Panel: Thumbs down on anthrax vaccine test in kids (junkscience.com)
- Anthrax Vaccine Testing On Kids: Critics Fight Panel Approval; What Are The Risks? (medicaldaily.com)
- President’s Bioethics Commission releases report on pediatric medical countermeasure research (eurekalert.org)
- Utah sheriffs warn Obama of deadly war over guns | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Viva La Revolution: I Stand With Rand, and My Fellow Americans | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Supreme Court To Hear Obama ID Forgery Case | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Drone Spotted Over Austin at SXSW | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- N. Korea threatens ‘pre-emptive’ nuclear strike against US | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)