*Last Updated 11:55am 3/12/2013
Around 300 people were on hand for the Constitutional Carry Act Hearing in Greenville, SC. The hearing was held in the Greenville County Council chambers yesterday evening. Citizens were able to voice their support or concerns over proposed legislation that would allow South Carolina residents to lawfully carry a firearm without obtaining a concealed weapons permit.
The overwhelming majority of attendees were in support of the bill, although a handful of people did not approve of the proposed legislation.
Several of the citizens speaking out in opposition were apparently confused on which bill was being discussed. At least two of the bills opponents spoke out against an entirely different bill, Senate bill 308, which would allow gun owners to carry firearms into restaurants that serve alcohol but only if the armed diner was not drinking alcoholic beverages.
“This is not a Democrat or Republican issue, it’s a constitutional issue and if you vote for it you’re voting for the Constitution. If you’re not, you’re against the Constitution,” said a citizen.
The bill would also give business owners the right to allow or prohibit anyone from carrying a weapon on premises with a sign indicating so.
By law, schools and school functions would be exempt from the law and no one but law enforcement officers would be authorized to carry weapons on those premises.
Another public forum on the proposed bill will be held Monday, March 18 in Myrtle Beach.
- LOL = Go Directly To Jail. Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect $200! | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Sen. Lee Bright To Host Hearing On Proposed Open Carry Law | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- SC Senate hearing on bill to allow carrying handguns packs Rock Hill auditorium (video) | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- SC Strikes Back Against Obama With Legislation And ‘Guns Across America’ Rally | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Lindsey Graham Backs Extremist Obama Appointee | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Rep. Jeff Duncan lobbying to bring gun manufacturers to SC | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Marines Peform ‘Mock Assault’ on Small Town Airfield in South Carolina | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Lindsey Graham – The Most Dangerous Man to America | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- How the Establishment Press Got Rand Paul Wrong | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Heritage Foundation: Still Neocon Whoring | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)