GOP ABANDONS ITS PROMISES IN VOTE ON CONTINUING RESOLUTION
When Republicans won the House of Representatives in 2010, largely thanks to the inspired efforts of grassroots conservatives and tea party activists, they made a so-called “Pledge to America” that this time would be different.
They pledged that this would not be the same majority that had lost power in 2006 after dramatically expanding Medicare, the Department of Education and running massive budget deficits – a majority that had seemingly lost its way from the principles that helped it win Congress in 1994 for the first time since 1952.
Well, perhaps everything the American people needed to know about the current Republican majority was embodied in a March 6 continuing resolution vote that funds the government through Sept. 30.
The bill was just introduced on March 4 – a Sunday – and just two days later, it was approved, despite a Pledge promise to “give all Representatives and citizens at least three days to read the bill before a vote.”
Moreover, the legislation continues to fund Obamacare, breaking another pledge that Republicans would “repeal President Obama’s government takeover of health care.” Republicans could have made defunding Obamacare a precondition for enacting the continuing resolution.
Just as House Majority Leader had promised to do in Feb. 2011: “I expect to see, one way or the other, the product coming out of the House to speak to that (ObamaCare funding) and to preclude any funding to be used for that.”
To keep the promise, 30 House Republicans sent a letter to House leadership, calling for just that tactic to be used: “we urge you to affirmatively de-fund the implementation of Obamacare in any relevant appropriations bill brought to the House floor in the 113th Congress, including any continuing appropriations bill.”
Alas, it was not to be.
- Holder to Rand Paul: Yep, Government Can Drone Bomb US Citizens | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Utah sheriffs warn Obama of deadly war over guns | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- US to Purchase Fleet of Enhanced Drones Despite Budget Cuts | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- New Grassroots Group Call For Senator Lee Bright To Challenge Lindsey Graham | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Wall of Shame: List of GOP Senators who didn’t #StandWithRand | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Supreme Court To Hear Obama ID Forgery Case | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Lindsey Graham Backs Extremist Obama Appointee | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Rand Paul’s #filiblizzard filibuster | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- LOL = Go Directly To Jail. Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect $200! | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Viva La Revolution: I Stand With Rand, and My Fellow Americans | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)