By Ashley Killough
Sen. Rand Paul ended his day-long filibuster at 12:38 a.m. Thursday, almost 13 hours after he began speaking. The Kentucky Republican tried to stall a confirmation vote on CIA Director nominee John Brennan.
He took to the Senate floor at 11:47 a.m. ET.
And as a snow storm swirled outside Wednesday in the nation’s capital, Paul started his own Twitter hash tag that encapsulated his hours-long stand-off on Capitol Hill: #filiblizzard.
The Kentucky senator, known for his libertarian leanings, has sharply questioned the Obama administration’s use of drones against American citizens overseas and vowed to speak Wednesday until he received more answers from the government about its policies. Brennan is considered one of the main architects of the drone program.
Paul in particular wants to know whether the government believes it has the authority to carry out drone attacks against American citizens on U.S. soil. He took issue with Attorney General Eric Holder’s recent admission, in which he said he could envision a scenario where a drone strike would, in fact, be ordered against Americans on U.S. soil.
While Holder said it’s never been done before and he could only see it in an extraordinary circumstance, Paul said he’s disturbed by the idea that an American citizen would lose his or her rights while within the country’s borders.
“I rise today to begin to filibuster John Brennan’s nomination for the CIA,” Paul said. “I will speak until I can no longer speak. I will speak as long as it takes.”
- SC Senate hearing on bill to allow carrying handguns packs Rock Hill auditorium (video) | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Stand With Rand Trending Out Of Control On Twitter | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Viva La Revolution: I Stand With Rand, and My Fellow Americans | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- The U.N. attempts to thwart marijuana decriminalization laws in Washington and Colorado | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Ted Cruz Has “Bomb Throwing” Debut In US Senate | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Lobbyist: Use Drones to Kill Americans on U.S. Soil (VIDEO) | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Rand Paul Questions Obama Drone Policy On Fox News | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Big Brother Gets Big Boost To Expand Surveillance In Downtown Greenville SC | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Lindsey Graham – The Most Dangerous Man to America | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Troops Deployed Ahead of Economic Collapse and Gun Confiscation | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)