Democrats in Washington State are in full retreat after it was reported they are working on legislation that would nullify the Fourth Amendment rights of citizens who own firearms designated as “assault weapons” by the state.
“In order to continue to possess an assault weapon that was legally possessed on the effective date of this section, the person possessing shall … safely and securely store the assault weapon. The sheriff of the county may, no more than once per year, conduct an inspection to ensure compliance with this subsection,” SB 5737 states.
If enacted, the law will allow police to search without a court-issued search warrant the homes of owners of legally purchased firearms.
Sen. Adam Kline of Seattle, a Democrat who is described by the Seattle Times as “hyper-attuned to civil-liberties issues,” sponsored the legislation without reading the eight page bill. “I made a mistake,” he told the newspaper. “I frankly should have vetted this more closely.”
The primary sponsor of the bill, Sen. Ed Murray, also a Democrat from Seattle, condemned the bill subsection authorizing police to search homes without a warrant. He said the plan to harass and intimidate legal gun owners is probably unconstitutional.
In order to save face, Washington Democrats blamed staff and promised that a new bill without the police state subsection will be introduced.
Murray said it will take time to condition the public to surrender their Second Amendment rights.
“We will only win if we reach out and continue to change the hearts and minds of Washingtonians,” he said.
- California Cop: A Gun is Not a Defensive Weapon | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Utah sheriffs warn Obama of deadly war over guns | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- SC Strikes Back Against Obama With Legislation And ‘Guns Across America’ Rally | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Stupid question, excellent response- Awesome Pro-Gun Comeback Against News Repeater | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Three Awesome Glock Ads Featuring “Gunny” R. Lee Emery | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Journal News map-listed guns, permits stolen from New City home, cops say | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- SC Bureau of Protective Services Patty Wagon at Pro-gun Rally | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- 6-year-old expelled after taking plastic toy gun to school | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- SC Senator Lee Bright Introduces Legislation To Nullify Federal Gun Laws | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- RAND PAUL TO HILLARY CLINTON: I Would Have Fired You Over Benghazi | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)