A Very Junior Senator’s Bomb-Throwing Debut
New York Times
By Jonathan Weisman
WASHINGTON — As the Senate edged toward a nasty filibuster vote on Chuck Hagel’s nomination to be defense secretary, Senator Ted Cruz, Republican of Texas, sat silent and satisfied in the corner of the chamber — his voice robbed by laryngitis — as he absorbed what he had wrought in his mere seven weeks of Senate service.
Mr. Hagel, a former senator from Mr. Cruz’s own party, was about to be the victim of the first filibuster of a nominee to lead the Pentagon. The blockade was due in no small part to the very junior senator’s relentless pursuit of speeches, financial records or any other documents with Mr. Hagel’s name on them going back at least five years. Some Republicans praised the work of the brash newcomer, but others joined Democrats in saying that Mr. Cruz had gone too far.
Without naming names, Senator Barbara Boxer, Democrat of California, offered a biting label for the Texan’s accusatory crusade: McCarthyism.
“It was really reminiscent of a different time and place, when you said, ‘I have here in my pocket a speech you made on such and such a date,’ and, of course, nothing was in the pocket,” she said, a reference to Senator Joseph R. McCarthy’s bloody pursuit of communists in the 1950s. “It was reminiscent of some bad times.”
In just two months, Mr. Cruz, 42, has made his presence felt in an institution where new arrivals are usually not heard from for months, if not years. Besides suggesting that Mr. Hagel might have received compensation from foreign enemies, he has tangled with the mayor of Chicago, sandbagged the Senate’s third-ranking Democrat on national television, voted against virtually everything before him — including the confirmation of John Kerry as secretary of state — and raised the hackles of colleagues from both parties.
He could not be more pleased. Washington’s new bad boy feels good.
- Erik Garcés: Oathkeepers? Only If You Make Them | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Stupid question, excellent response- Awesome Pro-Gun Comeback Against News Repeater | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Marines Peform ‘Mock Assault’ on Small Town Airfield in South Carolina | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- RAND PAUL TO HILLARY CLINTON: I Would Have Fired You Over Benghazi | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Obama to tap Bonesman John Kerry to be next secretary of state | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Erik Garcés: Think Different | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- SC Strikes Back Against Obama With Legislation And ‘Guns Across America’ Rally | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- SC Senator Lee Bright Introduces Legislation To Nullify Federal Gun Laws | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Utah sheriffs warn Obama of deadly war over guns | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Texas Governor Slaps Back Against Obama Executive Action | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)