South Carolina Club for Growth Releases 2011-12 Legislative Scorecards
THE JEENYUS CORNER
COLUMBIA, S.C. – Today, the South Carolina Club for Growth Foundation released its 2012 Legislative Scorecards, awarding its “Taxpayer Hero” award to four Senators and five Representatives based on their voting records since January 2011.
Scorecard ratings (here) are based on a wide range of economic and good government issues, with a maximum 100 points possible. Votes are assigned a value based on their relative importance. This year’s scorecard is made up of 19 Senate and 28 House roll call votes. Legislators with a score of “A” or “B+” earned the title of “Taxpayer Hero,” while those with a “D” or “F” earned the title of “Taxpayer Nightmare.”
Club Chairman Dave Ellison said, “Every year these scorecards give South Carolinians an accurate picture of how their legislators approach tax dollars and efficient government. Hardworking citizens do not have the time to always watch everything at the capitol, and rely on their legislators for information. Sadly what is said on the campaign trail is not always what happens in Columbia, making scorecards a valuable resource.
The votes on these scorecards were selected from the almost 3,000 votes taken since January 2011, and provide a snapshot of how legislators voted on crucial legislation affects how government is run, and how South Carolinians live and work.”
A pro-growth vote received the maximum number of points, while a vote against the pro-growth position received no points. In certain circumstances, points were deducted from legislators for changing or walking out on a vote. If a legislator went on record as abstaining from a vote – due to a conflict of interest – that vote was not factored into their total score.
2012 Fast Facts
-The average Republican score was 53.8.0
-The average Democrat score was 11.89
-The average SC Club for Growth PAC endorsed Sscore was 90.00
Taxpayer Heroes in the Senate:
House of Representatives:
-The average Republican score was 59.47
-The average Democrat score was 8.81
-The average SC Club for Growth PAC endorsed score was 73.00
Taxpayer Heroes in the House:
- SC Senator Lee Bright Introduces Legislation To Nullify Federal Gun Laws | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Tom Davis Won’t Fill DeMint’s Seat, Downplays 2014 Senate Run | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- McMaster not Haley’s pick for SC Senate seat | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- The Revolution Strikes Back! Iowa GOP Over-run By Paul-ites | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Bill Introduced In House Could End Presidential Term Limits | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Senator Resigns Shaking Up South Carolina’s Political Landsape | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Knotts threatens to kill SC ballot fix: “I’m in the catbird seat” | JCTV | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)