Jim DeMint Is Leaving The Senate To Head Up Conservative Think-Tank
A bombshell from Senator Jim DeMint (R-SC) stunned conservatives across South Carolina and the entire nation. The fiscally conservative senator announced that he will resign from his seat in January. The tea-party favorite will be taking over as president at the Heritage Foundation, a think-tank based in Washington D.C.
In a statement, DeMint said:
“It’s been an honor to serve the people of South Carolina in United States Senate for the past eight years, but now it’s time for me to pass the torch to someone else and take on a new role in the fight for America’s future.I’m leaving the Senate now, but I’m not leaving the fight. I’ve decided to join The Heritage Foundation at a time when the conservative movement needs strong leadership in the battle of ideas. No organization is better equipped to lead this fight and I believe my experience in public office as well as in the private sector as a business owner will help Heritage become even more effective in the years to come.”
South Carolina’s Governor Nikki Haley will select DeMint’s replacement, who would hold the office until 2014. The State newspaper said speculation of whom Haley would choose has been mostly centered around U.S. Rep. Tim Scott, R-North Charleston. Scott is not only a tea-party favorite, but he is also the only African-American serving as a republican in the U.S. House. According to The State, other possible successors include U.S. Reps. Mick Mulvaney, R-Indian Land, and Trey Gowdy, R-Spartanburg.
When asked if she would fill the herself, Haley stated; “No, I will not be appointing myself,” She added; “That is not even not an option, not something I am considering at all.”
One conservative from the Palmetto state that has not been mentioned in the main-stream media yet is state Senator Tom Davis (R- Beaufort). Davis received national attention over his endorsement of congressman Ron Paul (R-TX) for president during the 2012 Republican Primary, and has gained a large group of supporters across the nation. A substantial part of this new-found support comes from followers of Rep. Paul, many of which heard Sen. Davis speak at the “We Are The Future” rally held in Tampa just before the republican national convention.
In his remarks at the rally held by the Ron Paul campaign, the pro-liberty conservative took some jabs at Federal Reserve boss, Ben Bernanke, calling him a “traitor and dictator” accusing the controversial chairman of “rotting out (the) republic”. He also sparked speculation that he might run against Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) in a 2014 primary challenge.
As for the resigning Sen. DeMint, there’s a possibility that he could reemerge on the national scene as a potential candidate for President. Until recently, DeMint had been very insistent that he was not interested in making a bid for the White House.
When he was asked by CNN’s Wolf Blitzer about a possible run back in November of 2011, he replied in one word; “No”. However, his position seems to have changed according to an article published on The State’s website last week.
- Jim DeMint to Leave Senate to Run Heritage Foundation (nytimes.com)
- BREAKING: Sen. Jim DeMint will step down from Senate (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Breaking: Sen. Jim DeMint Resigns, Will Head the Heritage Foundation (pjmedia.com)
- Tea Party leader DeMint to leave Senate, run Heritage Foundation… (thehill.com)
- DeMint Leaving Congress To Head Heritage Foundation (huffingtonpost.com)
- Senate bill rewrite lets feds read your e-mail without warrants | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Nikki Haley’s Data Breach Claims Debunked | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Open Letter to All South Carolina News Papers and TV Stations | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Knotts threatens to kill SC ballot fix: “I’m in the catbird seat” | JCTV | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Nikki Haley: ‘I Want Him Slammed Against a Wall” | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)