THE JEENYUS CORNER
By Michael McAuliff
WASHINGTON — The White House Thursday handed out its first veto threat since President Barack Obama won reelection when advisers warned that they would counsel the commander-in-chief to nix the defense bill currently on the floor of the Democratic-controlled Senate.
The White House warned that the National Defense Authorization Act of 2013 breaks from the president’s budget request, limits his ability to pursue his defense strategy and trespasses on his power.
Among the issues the president’s Office of Management and Budget singled out were some of the controversial military detainee provisions, although it did not take issue with language passed in last year’s bill that lets the military hold American civilians without trial.
Instead, the White House complains about ongoing restrictions on its ability to transfer prisoners from the Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, prison base for terrorism suspects, which are reasserted in section 1031 on the bill.
“When he signed past versions of this legislation, the President objected to the restrictions carried forward by section 1031, promised to work towards their repeal, and warned the Congress that the restrictions on transferring detainees from Guantanamo Bay to foreign countries would in certain circumstances interfere with constitutional responsibilities committed to the Executive Branch,” said a statement of administration policy.
“Since these restrictions have been on the books, they have limited the Executive’s ability to manage military operations in an ongoing armed conflict, harmed the country’s diplomatic relations with allies and counterterrorism partners, and provided no benefit whatsoever to our national security,” the statement said.
The restriction stemmed from debates in recent years over both transferring terrorist suspects to the United States and sending them back to their homes where some have rejoined terrorist groups.
- White House threatens NDAA veto over Guantanamo provisions (rawstory.com)
- Another Obama Executive Order Allows Seizure of Americans’ Bank Accounts | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Liberty Candidates Already Eyeing White House In 2016 | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Republicans Hold House While Democrats Keep Grip On Senate And White House | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- How Team Obama Justifies the Killing of a 16-Year-Old American | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- The Many Accomplishments Of President Obama… | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Doug Wead- Rand Paul for President: 2016 | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- We Are Change: Honest Opinions of Obama Supporters on his Policies | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Ron Paul revolution continues in Congress | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Karl Rove vs. Fox News | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)