THE JEENYUS CORNER
By Karl Dickey
(Examiner.com) – Two-term New Mexico Governor and Libertarian Party presidential nominee Gary Johnson is off to a positive start with the earliest voting happening in the nation with 6% of the vote totals. The small town of Hart’s Location in Carroll County, New Hampshire voters cast their ballots shortly after midnight and is more often than not, an strong indicator for the end results of presidential races. In 2008, Barack Obama beat out John McCain by seven votes with no votes going toward the Libertarian Party presidential nominee at the time.
Early this morning, the small town cast 6% of their votes for Gary Johnson. Here are the vote totals:
Barack Obama 23 votes
Mitt Romney 9 votes
Gary Johnson 2 votes
Johnson is working to earn at least 5% of the national vote so getting on the ballot and raising money for a 2016 run for the White House will not swallow up so many of the campaign’s resources – both financial and human. Johnson has not delusions about winning in 2012, however is setting up to run again in 2016 with more name recognition, better funding and support from volunteers. If he can garner close to or exceed the 5% threshold, then he stands a chance to become the first Libertarian Party branded President of the United States. If Johnson does reach the 5% mark, it will be a historical moment as no Libertarian Party presidential nominee has gone above 1.1% of the popular vote.
Johnson’s issues appeal to most Americans according to iSidewith.com, however due to the duopoly in place by Republicans and Democrats, his voice has only been heard by approximately 10 to 15 percent of the voting population.
Johnson has effectively differentiated himself from Obama and Romney by not wanting to bomb countries that have not attacked us or are not imminent threats to America, he wants to legalize medical marijuana, he wants to balance the federal budget in 2013 and he wants to reduce federal government spending by 43%. He came to the 43% figure as a starting negotiating point as it is the amount the federal government is borrowing for each dollar is spends.
Come back to this column for updates throughout the day and evening of election results and election news.
- Gary Johnson Currently Has 4.5 Percent of the Popular Vote (reason.com)
- RNC Chairman Reince Priebus: Gary Johnson a “Non-Factor” in Election Despite Poll Numbers | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Gary Johnson Currently Has 4.5 Percent of the Popular Vote (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- Gary Johnson: Obama will win (politico.com)
- Hart’s Location: Obama 23 Romney 9 Johnson 2 (outsidethebeltway.com)
- RT to host final US presidential third-party debate | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Ezra Klein Explains Why You Should Consider Voting For Gary Johnson (reason.com)
- New Hampshire Republican Candidate Endorses Gov. Gary Johnson For President | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- The Third Candidate: Gary Johnson and why you should vote for him (examiner.com)
- Gary Johnson/Douglas Turner- The CFR Connection? | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)