THE JEENYUS CORNER
“The governor’s comments reflect unawareness of data security practices and are not at all reassuring,” network security Avivah Litan told Computer World.
Litan was referring to Haley’s claim that South Carolina was following “industry standard” practices when it failed to encrypt Social Security data that was stolen earlier this year by hackers presumed to be affiliated with an Eastern European crime syndicate. Beginning on August 27, more than 3.6 million Social Security numbers and nearly 400,000 credit and debit card numbers were stolen from the agency. Additional data – including individual tax return records – may have also been stolen, although Haley’s administration isn’t sure of the extent of the damage.
“To tell you (that) now would be guessing,” Haley told reporters this week.
How reassuring …
The breach at SCDOR was not discovered until October 10 and the public was not notified that its data had been stolen until October 26 – inexcusable delays given the sensitivity of the data involved.
Earlier this week, Haley claimed that nothing could have been done to stop the hackers – but she later admitted that “holes” in the state’s cyber security system had been filled in the wake of the successful penetration.
So which is it, governor?
In addition to avoiding this fundamental question, Haley also has yet to answer a host of interrogatories submitted by Democratic lawmakers regarding the breach … including an estimated price tag for the identity theft protection it is now having to provide (not to mention all the extra SCDOR workers hired to handle the flood of phone calls pouring in from nervous Palmetto State residents).
- “Boss Hog” Gets Hog-Tied By The State Senate Ethics Committee | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Nikki Haley: ‘I Want Him Slammed Against a Wall” | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Protecting the state’s children in SCDOR Security Breach (wyff4.com)
- Haley: SC Citizens Get Lifetime Fraud Resolution (wspa.com)
- The Many Accomplishments Of President Obama… | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- FITSNEWS REPORTS: Nikki Haley To Hold Conference Call For Lawmakers After Security Breach | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Haley defends not encrypting taxpayer information (chronicle.augusta.com)
- Governor Haley, State Officials Tuesday Update On DOR Security Breach (wspa.com)
- Hacker Takes Millions of SC Citizens’ Personal Info | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- SC class action calls Haley negligent in hacking case (chronicle.augusta.com)