THE JEENYUS CORNER
WASHINGTON (CBSDC/AP) — Sen. John McCain claims the Obama administration might be conducting a “massive cover-up” with the deadly terror attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi that killed Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.
On CBS News’ “Face the Nation” Sunday, the 2008 Republican presidential nominee said President Obama has been incompetent with the way he has been handling the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attack.
“I don’t know if it’s either a cover-up or the worst kind of incompetence, which doesn’t qualify the president as commander in chief,” McCain said.
The Republican senator was primarily talking about statements the administration made early after the attack where U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice said the Consulate attack was a “spontaneous” event caused by the anti-Mohammed film that caused massive protests across the Middle East.
Witnesses to the attack told The Associated Press that some 150 gunmen took part in the assault on the Benghazi compound.
“We now know there was no demonstration. There was no mob,” McCain told CBS News. “So for literally days and days, they told the American people something that had no basis in fact whatsoever.”
McCain added that this might cost Obama the election.
- McCain: Obama Might Be Conducting ‘Massive Cover-Up’ With Libya Attack (washington.cbslocal.com)
- McCain Compares Drummed Up Benghazi-Gate to Watergate (crooksandliars.com)
- McCain says Obama’s Libya handling either a ‘massive coverup’ or gross incompetence (washingtonpost.com)
- McCain: Libya either a “cover up” or “incompetence” (cbsnews.com)
- McCain: Benghazi worse than Watergate (hotair.com)
- McCain equates Benghazi, Watergate (maddowblog.msnbc.com)
- Senator McCain suggests coverup by White House on Libya (fsn.typepad.com)
- Video: Open: This is Face the Nation, Oct. 28 (cbsnews.com)
- BENGHAZI: McCain Suggests Response To Benghazi Attack Was Worse Than Watergate. “It is now the w… (pjmedia.com)
- McCain: Libya worst cover-up I’ve seen in my life (politico.com)