THE JEENYUS CORNER
By JG Vibes
(theintelhub.com) – With Hurricane Sandy approaching the New York Area, Mayor Bloomberg declared a state of emergency and ordered the evacuation of hundreds of thousands of people in low laying and vulnerable areas.
An area called Rikers Island in New York is in one of these dangerous areas, however for most of the people who live there evacuation is not an option.
That is because Rikers Island is a jail and people who happen to find themselves in jail are no longer looked at as human beings, especially by a member of the ruling class such as Bloomberg.
According to the New York City Department of Corrections’ own website, more than three-quarters of Rikers Island’s 400 acres are built on landfill–which is generally thought to be more vulnerable to natural disasters.
Its ten jails have a capacity of close to 17,000 inmates, and normally house at least 12,000, including juveniles and large numbers of prisoners with mental illness–not to mention pre-trial detainees who have yet to be convicted of any crime.
Most of the people held at this facility are small time, nonviolent offenders, this is a jail, not a prison. Even then, the majority of people in prison are also nonviolent offenders.
In a press conference this weekend about the hurricane, Bloomberg was asked about the condition of the prisoners in case of an emergency and replied by saying “don’t worry about them getting out”.
This cold and heartless response is the talk of a super villain, but sadly this sadistic attitude went largely unnoticed by the mainstream media.
This is not the first time that Bloomberg has come under fire for refusing to evacuate the jail or show any kind of concern for the people housed there during a disaster.
An identical controversy was taking place in the lead up to hurricane Irene, and through that debate it was discovered that there is no plan in existence for the jail, in fact, they aren’t even listed as a zone on the evacuation map, Rikers Island is totally skipped over.
Yesterday The IntelHub reported that ”orders were given to deploy 1175 National Guard troops into the New York City region of the United States in preparation for the mandatory evacuation of “Zone A” which contains a civilian population of 375,000 people.”
As of now the storm is still on its way and preparations are still being made.
J.G. Vibes is the author of an 87 chapter counter culture textbook called Alchemy of the Modern Renaissance, a staff writer and reporter for The Intel Hub and host of a show called Voluntary Hippie Radio.
You can keep up with his work, which includes free podcasts, free e-books & free audiobooks at his website www.aotmr.com.
- Prisoners to Remain … (inprisonedwomen.wordpress.com)
- Bloomberg’s scant regard for prisoners in the storm (salon.com)
- Prisoners to Remain on Rikers Island As Hurricane Sandy Heads for New York (solitarywatch.com)
- Bloomberg Says Prisoners Will be Abandoned While City Evacuates (theintelhub.com)
- Former Italian PM Berlusconi gets 1-year reduced sentence for fraud | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Twelve Years Of Prison For A$30.00 Worth Of Pot On FIRST Offence | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- NYC Mayor Tries To Calm A City Preparing For Hurricane Sandy (buzzfeed.com)
- 9 Frightening Things About America’s Biggest Police Force | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Prisoners to Remain … (imprisonedwomen.wordpress.com)
- Anti-Islam filmmaker held at Los Angeles federal jail | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)