THE JEENYUS CORNER
By JG Vibes
A 22-year-old man with severe food allergies died in a Washington state jail after turning himself in on a pot charge, and now his mother and her attorney will encourage the prosecutor’s office to file involuntary manslaughter charges against jail workers who could have prevented his death.
The Herald newspaper of Everett and KIRO-TV of Seattle report that Michael Saffioti died a day after turning himself in on July 2.
Saffioti’s mother, Rose Saffioti, says her son brought along a bag of medications needed to control his allergies and asthma, and he had expected to be placed in the jail’s medical unit.
Instead, he was placed in the general population and his special needs were ignored.
Rose says she has spoken with other inmates who were there and they told her that Michael couldn’t breathe after eating oatmeal,and then he begged for help but was accused of faking it and ignored by prison workers.
The medical examiner’s office determined on Thursday that he died from bronchial asthma brought on by his milk allergy.
“You can’t get help. You can’t call 911. You’re at their complete mercy,” said Anne Bremner, an attorney representing the Saffioti family.
“When the jail’s the one that gives you something that’s going to kill you — that they know is going to kill you — they, at a minimum, have to rescue you. And they didn’t.”
The Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office said it would not comment on what happened or on the potential lawsuit until its investigation is complete.
- 22 Year Old with Food Allergy Gets Arrested for Cannabis Possession and Dies After One Night in Jail (theintelhub.com)
- 22 Year Old with Food Allergy Gets Arrested for Cannabis Possession and Dies After One Night in Jail (thedailysheeple.com)
- Police Accuse Jailed Man Begging For Help Of Faking Allergic Reaction, Man Dies (informationliberation.com)
- Inmate with dairy allergy dies after eating oatmeal (komonews.com)
- Snohomish County probes death of inmate who had food allergy (seattletimes.com)
- Mukilteo mother says son’s death in jail was avoidable (heraldnet.com)
- Man With Pot Misdemeanor Dies In Jail After Allergic Reaction. Workers Thought He Was ‘Faking It’ (libertycrier.com)
- The Only Reason I Need to Vote Yes on I-502 (slog.thestranger.com)
- Trick-Or-Treat: It Can Be Sweet! (thefoodallergymom.wordpress.com)
- Man busted for pot dies in Snohomish County jail (thenewstribune.com)