THE JEENYUS CORNER
On June 3, 2011, three plainclothes New York City Police officers stopped a Harlem teenager named Alvin and two of the officers questioned and frisked him while the third remained in their unmarked car. Alvin secretly captured the interaction on his cell phone, and the resulting audio is one of the only known recordings of stop-and-frisk in action.
In the course of the two-minute recording, the officers give no legally valid reason for the stop, use racially charged language and threaten Alvin with violence. Early in the stop, one of the officers asks, “You want me to smack you?” When Alvin asks why he is being threatened with arrest, the other officer responds, “For being a fucking mutt.” Later in the stop, while holding Alvin’s arm behind his back, the first officer says, “Dude, I’m gonna break your fuckin’ arm, then I’m gonna punch you in the fuckin’ face.”
“He grabbed me by my bookbag and he started pushing me down. So I’m going backwards like down the hill and he just kept pushing me, pushing me, it looked like he we was going to hit me,” Alvin recounts. “I felt like they was trying to make me resist or fight back.”
Alvin’s treatment at the hands of the officers may be disturbing but it is not uncommon. According to their own stop-and-frisk data, the NYPD stops more than 1,800 New Yorkers a day. A New York Times analysis recently determined that more than 20 percent of those stops involve the use of force. And these are only the numbers that the Department records. Anecdotal evidence suggests both figures are much higher.
- Watch the Only Known Recording of NYPD’s Stop-and-Frisk in Action (colorlines.com)
- Watch: Cops Harass, Grope, and Threaten Teenager “For Being a F*cking Mutt” (alternet.org)
- NYPD officers stop-and-frisk black teen for being ‘a f*cking mutt’ (rawstory.com)
- Powerful New Video on New York City’s Stop-and-Frisk Policy (dailypaul.com)
- NYPD Officers Stop-and-Frisk Teen ‘For Being a F*cking Mutt’ (nymag.com)
- Secret Recording of NYPD Stop-and-Frisk Uncovered: ‘I’m Gonna Break Your Fuckin’ Arm’ [Video] (gawker.com)
- Video: Police State: NYC’s Stop and Frisk Program Exposed (thoughtsandrantings.com)
- NYPD Cops Calls 16-Year-Old Harlem Student Named Alvin A ‘F**king Mutt’ During Stop-And-Frisk (fromthetrenchesworldreport.com)
- NYPD Officers Penalized if They Do Not Conduct Stop and Frisks (VIDEO) (dissenter.firedoglake.com)
- 9 Frightening Things About America’s Biggest Police Force | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)