THE JEENYUS CORNER
BRUSSELS (AP) — The United States has sent military troops to the Jordan-Syria border to bolster that country’s military capabilities in the event that violence escalates along its border with Syria, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said Wednesday.
Speaking at a NATO conference of defense ministers in Brussels, Panetta said the U.S. has been working with Jordan to monitor chemical and biological weapons sites in Syria and also to help Jordan deal with refugees pouring over the border from Syria. The troops are also building a headquarters for themselves.
But the revelation of U.S. military personnel so close to the 19-month-old Syrian conflict suggests an escalation in the U.S. military involvement in the conflict, even as Washington pushes back on any suggestion of a direct intervention in Syria.
It also follows several days of shelling between Turkey and Syria, an indication that the civil war could spill across Syria’s borders and become a regional conflict.
“We have a group of our forces there working to help build a headquarters there and to insure that we make the relationship between the United States and Jordan a strong one so that we can deal with all the possible consequences of what’s happening in Syria,” Panetta said.
The development comes with the U.S. presidential election less than a month away, and at a time when former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, the Republican nominee, has been criticizing President Barack Obama’s foreign policy, accusing the administration of embracing too passive a stance in the convulsive Mideast region.
- Turkey returns fire at Syria | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Pentagon claims Syria moved chemical weapons (How Convinient, Just Like Iraq!) | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Selling War to the Public | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Obama Strives to Hide Military Layoffs – Until After Election! | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Sen. Lindsay Graham- Fire This Treasonous Clown In 2014! | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Republican Electors Threaten to Vote for Ron Paul Instead of Romney | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Snoop Dog On Romney “He’s a mormon but he ain’t got no hoes” | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- U.S. officer got no reply to requests for more security in Benghazi | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Syria Targets Israel’s Unacknowledged Nukes | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Al Jazeera: Syria shells Turkish village | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)