THE JEENYUS CORNER
We like to think of the drone war as something far away, fought in the deserts of Yemen or the mountains of Afghanistan. But we now know it’s closer than we thought. There are 64 drone bases on American soil. That includes 12 locations housing Predator and Reaper unmanned aerial vehicles, which can be armed.
Public Intelligence, a non-profit that advocates for free access to information, released a map of military UAV activities in the United States on Tuesday. Assembled from military sources — especially this little-known June 2011 Air Force presentation (.pdf) – it is arguably the most comprehensive map so far of the spread of the Pentagon’s unmanned fleet. What exact missions are performed at those locations, however, is not clear. Some bases might be used as remote cockpits to control the robotic aircraft overseas, some for drone pilot training. Others may also serve as imagery analysis depots.
The medium-size Shadow is used in 22 bases, the smaller Raven in 20 and the miniature Wasp in 11. California and Texas lead the pack, with 10 and six sites, respectively, and there are also 22 planned locations for future bases. ”It is very likely that there are more domestic drone activities not included in the map, but it is designed to provide an approximate overview of the widespread nature of Department of Defense activities throughout the US,” Michael Haynes from Public Intelligence tells Danger Room.
The possibility of military drones (as well as those controlled by police departments and universities) flying over American skies have raised concerns among privacy activists. As the American Civil Liberties Union explained in its December 2011 report, the machines potentially could be used to spy on American citizens. The drones’ presence in our skies “threatens to eradicate existing practical limits on aerial monitoring and allow for pervasive surveillance, police fishing expeditions, and abusive use of these tools in a way that could eventually eliminate the privacy Americans have traditionally enjoyed in their movements and activities.”
- Intelligence effort named citizens, not terrorists | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Arrest Warrant Issued for JPMorgan Chase Bank CEO Jamie Dimon | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Feds Say Drones Will Not Patrol Skies Above RNC | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Sen. Lindsay Graham- Fire This Treasonous Clown In 2014! | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- 9 Frightening Things About America’s Biggest Police Force | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- ATTENTION! MONSANTO Now Owns BLACKWATER | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- CIA sued over drone killings | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Apple bans drone-awareness iPhone app | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Government Documents Prove Domestic Drones Are For Spying On Americans | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Iran: New Drone Can Cover Much Of Region | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)