This weekend, the Republican Liberty Caucus sponsored two events in the Greenville-Spartanburg area: The Take Our Country Back 2012 rally in Greenville and the US Constitution Family Festival in Boiling Springs (just outside Spartanburg). We met lots of great constitutional conservative activists across the state who took time out of a busy football weekend to rally in support of smaller government and more freedom. We also got a chance to take their temperature on an upcoming state-wide race with major significance — the 2014 re-election bid for incumbent Republican Senator Lindsey Graham.
There have been a number of names thrown in the hat but perhaps the most well-known and most talked about potential challenger is South Carolina Senator Tom Davis (R-Beaufort).
So we did a hypothetical head-to-head straw poll between incumbent Senator Lindsey Graham and Tom Davis of those who stopped by our table this past weekend at both events. The results weren’t even close. Of the tea party and liberty Republican activists who voted, Tom Davis got 93.6% of the votes while Lindsey Graham only received 6.4% of the votes. The unpopularity of Lindsey Graham might not be surprising at tea party events, but the lopsided result was noteworthy — especially in light of the upstate being Lindsey Graham’s base of support.
US SENATE 2014
Lindsey Graham (incumbent) – 6.4%
Tom Davis – 93.6%
- SC State Sen. Tom Davis Lashes Out At Anti-Tea Party U.S. Senator Graham (R-SC) For Trashing Libertarians (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Sen. Davis calls for Graham’s defeat (islandpacket.com)
- Sen. Lindsey Graham: Not Enough ‘Angry White Guys’ to Sustain GOP [Lindsey Graham] (gawker.com)
- Sen. Lindsey Graham on Middle East: “The Region Is About to Blow Up” (foxnewsinsider.com)
- Lindsey Graham Admits GOP Strategy (polentical.com)
- Davis comments about Bernanke, Graham create stir (islandpacket.com)
- Sen. Lindsey Graham: Republicans ‘not generating enough angry white guys’ (rawstory.com)
- Lindsey Graham: Harry Reid Is ‘Lying’ About Romney Not Paying Taxes (huffingtonpost.com)
- Lindsay Graham Dropped A Lot Of F-Bombs Talking To Joe Biden (buzzfeed.com)
- Sen. Lindsey Graham Calls For Contractors To Make Layoffs Before November Election (joemygod.blogspot.com)