The killings of the US ambassador to Libya and three of his staff were likely to have been the result of a serious and continuing security breach, The Independent can reveal.
American officials believe the attack was planned, but Chris Stevens had been back in the country only a short while and the details of his visit to Benghazi, where he and his staff died, were meant to be confidential.
The US administration is now facing a crisis in Libya. Sensitive documents have gone missing from the consulate in Benghazi and the supposedly secret location of the “safe house” in the city, where the staff had retreated, came under sustained mortar attack. Other such refuges across the country are no longer deemed “safe”
Some of the missing papers from the consulate are said to list names of Libyans who are working with Americans, putting them potentially at risk from extremist groups, while some of the other documents are said to relate to oil contracts.
According to senior diplomatic sources, the US State Department had credible information 48 hours before mobs charged the consulate in Benghazi, and the embassy in Cairo, that American missions may be targeted, but no warnings were given for diplomats to go on high alert and “lockdown”, under which movement is severely restricted.
Mr Stevens had been on a visit to Germany, Austria and Sweden and had just returned to Libya when the Benghazi trip took place with the US embassy’s security staff deciding that the trip could be undertaken safely.
Eight Americans, some from the military, were wounded in the attack which claimed the lives of Mr Stevens, Sean Smith, an information officer, and two US Marines. All staff from Benghazi have now been moved to the capital, Tripoli, and those whose work is deemed to be non-essential may be flown out of Libya.
- Group of Marines, Warships and Drones to be Deployed on Libya after Benghazi Attack | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Marines Sent to Libya After Murder of Ambassador | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Al-Qaeda Murders U.S. Ambassador and Staff in Libya | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Was U.S. Ambassador Lynched? | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Exclusive: America ‘was warned of embassy attack but did nothing’ (rubinoworld.com)
- Obama’s #epicfail: America ‘was warned of embassy attack but did nothing’ (atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com)
- The Independent: Foggy Bottom Warned of Attack 48 Hours in Advance – Did Nothing (fellowshipofminds.wordpress.com)
- Eric: Revealed: inside story of US envoy’s assassination. (independent.co.uk)
- Breaking: U.S. Had 48 Hour Warning of Benghazi Attack, Did Nothing – Highly Sensitive Docs Missing (riehlworldview.com)
- Shock Report: Obama Administration Was Warned of Embassy Attack But Did Nothing (thegatewaypundit.com)