The two million dollar “crowd monitoring” surveillance system put in place in Tampa for the RNC may be there to stay.
The cameras were turned off when the convention ended on Aug. 30, the Tampa Tribune reports, but the nearly 60 cameras — whose locations are documented by area resident and tech guy Jon Gales — remain in place.
Even before the convention, Councilwoman Mary Mulhern voiced concerns about lasting surveillance, the Tribune reports.
“This is a huge thing,” Mulhern said. “We’ll have many dozens of security cameras overhead. We don’t want permanent surveillance.”
Baylor Johnson, spokesman for the Florida chapter of the ACLU, also warns of the permanent surveillance, as has happened in other cities which keep the surveillance systems long after they are put in place for a specific event.
“Almost every time, the system stays in place longer than it was intended for,” said Johnson.
“This is an impulse, to blanket public spaces with surveillance. But that impulse is wrong,” Johnson said. “The monitoring of citizens can quickly become invasive. They become a tool of potential abuses of power.”
The Tribune reports that the city council will discuss on Sept. 20 the fate of the surveillance system.
- Surveillance System Set Up for RNC May Be Permanent (commondreams.org)
- New Mexico Tampa 8 Strike Back | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Ron Paul’s Rally: The Event That Could Give Birth To A New Party | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Texans join uprising against RNC rules change | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Tucker Carlson: Vehemently Opposed To RNC Convention Security Police State | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Rep. Amash Calls for Audit of RNC Over Treatment of Paul Delegates | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Texas delegates planning floor mutiny over RNC rules changes | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Video Shows Maryland Cop Beating Teenager in Head with Gun | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Paul supporters don’t accept Romney nomination quietly | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Over 10,000 supporters brave Tropical Storm Isaac to see Ron Paul speak at USF | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)