Chinese President Hu Jintao said Beijing would do all it could to strengthen the 21-member Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation. Photo: Diego Azubel-Pool/Getty Images
Chinese President Hu Jintao said Beijing would do all it could to strengthen the 21-member Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) and boost prospects of a global recovery by rebalancing its economy, Asia’s biggest.
Russian President Vladimir Putin said trade barriers must be smashed down. He is hosting the event on a small island linked to the Pacific port of Vladivostok by a spectacular new bridge, a symbol of Moscow’s pivotal turn to Asia away from debt-stricken Europe.
“It’s important to build bridges, not walls. We must continue striving for greater integration,” Putin told APEC leaders seated at a round table in a room with a view of the $1 billion cable-stayed bridge, the largest of its kind.
“The global economic recovery is faltering. We can overcome the negative trends only by increasing the volume of trade in goods and services and enhancing the flow of capital.”
China’s Hu told business leaders before the summit the world economy was being hampered by “destabilising factors and uncertainties” and the crisis that hit in 2008-09 was far from over. Beijing would play its role, he said, in strengthening the recovery.
“We will work to maintain the balance between keeping steady and robust growth, adjusting the economic structure and managing inflation expectations,” he said.
Hu spelled out plans for China, whose economic growth has slowed as Europe’s debt crisis worsened, to pump $157 billion into infrastructure investments in agriculture, energy, railways and roads. Hu, who steps down as China’s leader in the autumn after a Communist Party congress, promised continuity and stability for the economy.
Putin, who has just begun a new six-year term as president, said on Friday Russia would be a stable energy supplier and a gateway to Europe for Asian countries, and also pledged to develop his country’s transportation network.
- China sounds alarm on global economy at APEC summit – Reuters (reuters.com)
- China sounds alarm on global economy at APEC summit – Reuters UK (uk.reuters.com)
- Russia, China: Global recovery weakening (csmonitor.com)
- US Fiscal Cliff Endangers World Economy, Lagarde Tells APEC – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- China, Russia sound alarm on world economy at APEC summit (rightways.wordpress.com)
- Asia-Pacific nations promise growth, free markets – Reuters (reuters.com)
- China, Russia sound alarm on world economy at APEC summit (blacklistednews.com)
- Putin: ‘Build Bridges, Not Walls’ (thesantosrepublic.com)
- URGENT: Japan PM Noda, China’s Hu talk briefly at APEC summit (english.kyodonews.jp)
- Aquino returns home from Russia without meeting China’s Hu (globalnation.inquirer.net)