By TIM DICKINSON
Mitt Romney likes to say he won’t “apologize” for his success in business. But what he never says is “thank you” – to the American people – for the federal bailout of Bain & Company that made so much of his outsize wealth possible.
According to the candidate’s mythology, Romney took leave of his duties at the private equity firm Bain Capital in 1990 and rode in on a white horse to lead a swift restructuring of Bain & Company, preventing the collapse of the consulting firm where his career began. When The Boston Globe reported on the rescue at the time of his Senate run against Ted Kennedy, campaign aides spun Romney as the wizard behind a “long-shot miracle,” bragging that he had “saved bank depositors all over the country $30 million when he saved Bain & Company.”
In fact, government documents on the bailout obtained by Rolling Stone show that the legend crafted by Romney is basically a lie. The federal records, obtained under the Freedom of Information Act, reveal that Romney’s initial rescue attempt at Bain & Company was actually a disaster – leaving the firm so financially strapped that it had “no value as a going concern.” Even worse, the federal bailout ultimately engineered by Romney screwed the FDIC – the bank insurance system backed by taxpayers – out of at least $10 million. And in an added insult, Romney rewarded top executives at Bain with hefty bonuses at the very moment that he was demanding his handout from the feds.
- Greed and Debt: The True Story of Mitt Romney and Bain Capital | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Rolling Stone: The Secret Bailout That Saved Mitt Romney (dailybail.com)
- The Gold Standard Goes Mainstream | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Romney the Businessman? | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- The Federal Bailout That Saved Mitt Romney (rollingstone.com)
- The Dark Side of Mitt Romney | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Mitt Romney: “I was too important to go to Vietnam” | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Mitt Romney Now Says He’s Not Releasing Tax Returns For Religious Reasons | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Romney May Be Nominated Early | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Romney Party Yacht Flies Cayman Islands Flag | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)