By Kelly Poe
RALEIGH A Raleigh-based group devoted to reducing the potential for voter fraud presented the N.C. Board of Elections on Friday with a list of nearly 30,000 names of dead people statewide who are still registered to vote.
The Voter Integrity Project compiled the list after obtaining death records from the state Department of Public Health from 2002 to March 31 and comparing them to the voter rolls.
“Mainly, what we’re concerned about is the potential [for fraud],” said project director Jay DeLancy. “Since there is no voter ID law in North Carolina, anybody can walk in and claim to be anyone else.”
DeLancy said his group has found evidence to suggest voter fraud in these numbers, but will not quantify how much until he is able to do more analysis. Most cases of what look like a dead person voting are likely just administrative errors, such as a son named Junior voting in his father’s name instead of his own.
The rolls of registered voters are updated every month when the state Department of Health and Human Services gives a list of all death certificates received that month to the state Board of Elections.
Problems arise when the names on the death certificates do not match the names on the voting records, which often happens after women get married, Board of Elections General Counsel Don Wright said Friday. Addresses are also often listed with slight differences, Wright said. An address on West Millbrook Road and Millbrook Road might be the same house, but computers won’t always catch it. “Unless there is an exact match, we do not remove people from the voter rolls,” Wright said.
DeLancy said his volunteers work to fix the discrepancies, by examining cases of similar names and addresses and confirming other pieces of data, such as whether the voter has the same date of birth.
- 30,000 Dead Registered To Vote In North Carolina (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
- Group says it found 30,000 dead North Carolinians registered to vote (charlotteobserver.com)
- Voter Integrity Project finds 30,000 dead North Carolinians registered to vote (riehlworldview.com)
- Group says it found 30,000 dead North Carolinians registered to vote (redalertpolitics.com)
- Group says it found 30,000 dead North Carolinians registered to vote (newsobserver.com)
- Group Says it Found 30,000 Dead North Carolinians Registered to Vote (zen-haven.dk)
- Group says it found 30,000 dead North Carolinians registered to vote (12160.info)