September 2, 2012
Iran would take action if the United States were to carry out an act of “stupidity” and attack Syria, an Iranian military official was quoted as saying on Saturday, but the comments later disappeared from the state-linked agency website.
Iran has steadfastly supported Syrian President Bashar Assad in his bid to suppress an uprising which both Tehran and Damascus see as a proxy war by Israel and Western states to extend their influence in the Middle East.
“If America were to attack Syria, Iran along with Syria’s allies will take action, which would amount to a fiasco for America,” Mohammad Ali Assoudi, the deputy for culture and propaganda of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), was quoted as saying.
Assoudi’s comments were first carried by the government-linked news agency Young Journalists’ Club but were later apparently taken down from the group’s website. The comments were picked up by Iranian news sites including Iran’s Jam-e Jam newspaper and the BBC’s Persian-language site.
- Iran would take action if U.S. attacked Syria: official (dailystar.com.lb)
- Iran would take action if U.S. attacked Syria: official (democraticunderground.com)
- The final conflict: Iran threatens action against the U.S. if it attacks Syria (raptureimminent.wordpress.com)
- Official: Iran would take action if US attacked Syria (conservativeread.com)
- The final conflict: Iran threatens action against the U.S. if it attacks Syria (judgementofamerica.wordpress.com)