“We filed a complaint with the SA Police Service yesterday and a ‘crimes against the state’ docket was opened,” Muhammed Vawda, secretary of Spoc, said today.
“A case number was issued and it will go to the National Director of Public Prosecutions for a decision.”
Blair and former US president George W Bush were found guilty in absentia of crimes against humanity by the Kuala Lumpur War Crimes Tribunal in November last year.
They were also found guilty of genocide for their roles in the Iraq War.The tribunal was presided over by five judges.
The court acknowledged that the verdict was non-enforceable, but the findings were reported to the International Criminal Court in The Hague.
The Daily Maverick reported that the official UK government inquiry into the Iraq War, the Chilcot Inquiry, is only set to release a report late into 2013, which will run more than 1-million words.
It reported that part of the delay was due to a row over whether Cabinet officials were willing to publish certain sensitive documents, such as notes passed between Blair and Bush, and records of their conversations.
The inquiry held public hearings between the end of 2009 and the beginning of 2011 on matters including the background to the war.
Blair is in South Africa this week as one of the speakers at the Discovery Leadership Summit at the Sandton Convention Centre today.
Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu withdrew from the summit yesterday because of Blair’s attendance.
The Muslim political party Al Jama-ah said it planned to protest against Blair when he spoke at the summit.
- Archbishop Tutu: Try Blair for war crimes – Telegraph.co.uk (telegraph.co.uk)
- Tony Blair Should Face Trial Over Iraq War, Says Desmond Tutu (alwaysaskfirst.wordpress.com)
- Tutu: Bush, Blair should be tried for Iraq War (cbsnews.com)
- Tutu: Bush, Blair Should Face Trial at the Hague (abcnews.go.com)
- Should Tony Blair & George W. Bush account to the ICC over Iraq invasion? (akanyangafrica.wordpress.com)
- Call to arrest Tony Blair during SA visit gains momentum (dailymaverick.co.za)
- Faced with moral indefensibility, Desmond Tutu un-friends Tony Blair (dailymaverick.co.za)
- Tony Blair should face trial over Iraq war, says Desmond Tutu (guardian.co.uk)
- Desmond Tutu: George W. Bush and Tony Blair Should Face Prosecution for Iraq War [Iraq War] (gawker.com)
- Bush, Blair should face trial over Iraq war, says Desmond Tutu (todayonline.com)