By Matt Taibbi
The great criticism of Mitt Romney, from both sides of the aisle, has always been that he doesn’t stand for anything. He’s a flip-flopper, they say, a lightweight, a cardboard opportunist who’ll say anything to get elected.
The critics couldn’t be more wrong. Mitt Romney is no tissue-paper man. He’s closer to being a revolutionary, a backward-world version of Che or Trotsky, with tweezed nostrils instead of a beard, a half-Windsor instead of a leather jerkin. His legendary flip-flops aren’t the lies of a bumbling opportunist – they’re the confident prevarications of a man untroubled by misleading the nonbeliever in pursuit of a single, all-consuming goal. Romney has a vision, and he’s trying for something big: We’ve just been too slow to sort out what it is, just as we’ve been slow to grasp the roots of the radical economic changes that have swept the country in the last generation.
The incredible untold story of the 2012 election so far is that Romney’s run has been a shimmering pearl of perfect political hypocrisy, which he’s somehow managed to keep hidden, even with thousands of cameras following his every move. And the drama of this rhetorical high-wire act was ratcheted up even further when Romney chose his running mate, Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin – like himself, a self-righteously anal, thin-lipped, Whitest Kids U Know penny pincher who’d be honored to tell Oliver Twist there’s no more soup left. By selecting Ryan, Romney, the hard-charging, chameleonic champion of a disgraced-yet-defiant Wall Street, officially succeeded in moving the battle lines in the 2012 presidential race.
- Romney the Businessman? | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Mitt Romney Now Says He’s Not Releasing Tax Returns For Religious Reasons | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- The Dark Side of Mitt Romney | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Paul supporters don’t accept Romney nomination quietly | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Paul says his backers will ‘become the GOP tent’ | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Minority Report Forces GOP to Back Down, Compromise Raises Difficult Questions | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Mitt Romney Endorsement: Bohemian Club / Skull and Bones | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Paul Ryan Record Shows He Could Be Running Mate of Obama | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- The Ron Paul Delegates Are Not Going Away Easy | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Mitt Romney: “I was too important to go to Vietnam” | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)