Same-sex couples’ lawsuit challenges North Carolina adoption law
by Moni Basu, CNN
(CNN) – Marcie Fisher-Borne carries a power of attorney with her at all times. She has a will but has made videos of her wishes for her children just in case someone contests them.
What if she were to get in a car accident tomorrow? What would happen to her daughter, 4, and her 6-month-old son?
It’s not that Fisher-Borne doesn’t have a partner – she has been with Chantelle Fisher-Borne for 15 years. It’s just that the state of North Carolina does not recognize same-sex marriage. Nor does it allow second-parent adoptions.
That means if Fisher-Borne were no longer capable of taking care of her children – she gave birth to her daughter, and her partner, Chantelle, carried their son – Chantelle Fisher-Borne would not be able to adopt their daughter.
The Fisher-Bornes were one of six couples listed in a federal lawsuit filed Wednesday by the American Civil Liberties Union that seeks to give full parental rights to same-sex couples.
“North Carolina’s law denies children the permanency and security of a loving home simply because their parents are lesbian or gay,” said Jennifer Rudinger, executive director of the ACLU of North Carolina.
“This is fundamentally wrong,” she said. “No parent should have to worry about what will happen to their children if something happens to their partner.”
A second-parent adoption is the adoption of a child by a parent in the home who is not married to the legal parent of the child, according to the Department of Health and Human Services. The first parent does not lose his or her rights.
- Same-sex couples sue, challenging North Carolina’s ban on second-parent adoptions for gay families – @msnbc (usnews.msnbc.msn.com)
- NC: ACLU Files Second-parent Adoption Lawsuit on Behalf of Six Families for the Right to Provide Kids with Two Legal Parents (pamshouseblend.firedoglake.com)
- ACLU Sues North Carolina Over Law That Effectively Prohibits Same-Sex Adoption (thinkprogress.org)
- ACLU files same-sex lawsuit over parental rights (newsobserver.com)
- ACLU sues over North Carolina’s same sex adoption ban (rawstory.com)
- ACLU files lawsuit to allow both same-sex parents to have legal guardianship (charlotte.news14.com)
- Federal lawsuit challenges state adoption law (newsobserver.com)
- The American Civil Liberties Union sued North Carolina (wcnc.com)
- Stupid Crap I found online today (tb2942.com)
- Editorial: North Carolina, Meet Citizens United (nytimes.com)